Running for Beginners : The Couch to 5k Beginner Running Plan
At Running Ibiza we believe strongly that running is an activity for everyone – after all, everyone is built for running! We have seen at first hand, the positive impact running has on the lives of people of every age, shape, size & gender. But we know that if you are a beginner, running can be very daunting, especially if you want to start running at 40, at 50 etc, or are interested in running for weight loss. At Running Ibiza we have lots of experience of running with beginners (which included us, at one point!), which means we can gently (but firmly!) teach you the techniques & motivate you to be able to run 5k without stopping
If you already know you want to start running and get the benefits for yourself, sign up now. However if you’re still not sure it’s for you, read on…
Everybody knows that keeping fit & active is good for you, but why choose running? Here are our Top 10 Reasons to run:
- Physical health benefits (too numerous to list here… Google it!)
- Mental health benefits (it triggers the release of lovely serotonins in your brain and gets you out into the Vitamin D-giving sunshine)
- Increase in self-confidence(a wonderful side effect from 1 and 2 above)
- Sustained weight loss, without dieting (here at Running Ibiza we eat fairly healthily, but we eat BIG PORTIONS and we love our G&Ts and wine!!)
- Inclusive (you don’t need any technical skills or specialist equipment, other than a proper pair of running trainers & a sports bra for ladies)
- Time effective (you can run to and from your own front door, and you burn more calories per hour than any other exercise)
- Cost effective (no gym membership fees & the only equipment you need is that pair of proper running trainers/sports bra)
- Convenience (You can integrate it into your life and get to places quicker! Need to pop to the bank/post office/meet a friend for coffee? It’s too far to walk but the parking’s a nightmare? Run there!)
- Flexible & portable (you can run when you want, for as long as you want. Wherever you travel to, pack your trainers and you can run!)
- Sociable (join a club and make friends you can run with)
Running Ibiza’s founder Donna has been running for 15 years and is a qualified UK Athletics Run Leader. She has completed over 200 races including 4 marathons and 40 half-marathons. However, until she was 33, Donna didn’t run at all and was overweight. As a child she swam a lot, but she gave that up at 16 and did little else for the next 17 years, other than a lot of very low impact gym classes. She first tried running after her daughter was born, and the first time she went out she ran for 10 minutes and had to stop 3 times. It wasn’t until a few years later, when she followed a plan, that she was able to run consistently – and she’s been running (and 2 dress sizes smaller) ever since!
So, running changed her life (corny but true!) and now she really wants to help others who would like it to change theirs too, or who simply want to start running in order to get fitter. You can read the testimonials below to hear the positive impact running has had on the lives of others.
Couch to 5k
‘Couch to 5k’ is a beginner running plan. It was developed by a new runner, Josh Clark, who wanted to help his 50-something mum get off the couch and start running, too. Taking up running can seem like a scary prospect, especially if you feel out of shape or unfit. When first trying to get into exercise, we can often overdo it, feel defeated and give up when we’re just getting started. ‘Couch to 5k’ is designed for absolute beginners, and it works because it starts with a mix of running and walking, to gradually build up your fitness and stamina.
We will track your progress during each session and keep you motivated to reach the goal of running 5k (or 30 minutes) without stopping. Progress is individual but you can expect to be able to run 5k (or 30 minutes) without stopping after 9 weeks, as long as you follow the plan each week.
The plan is made up of 3 sessions per week for 9 weeks. You can choose to run 1, 2 or all 3 of the weekly sessions with us, dependent on your self-motivation levels/budget. If you decide to run some of the weekly sessions by yourself, we will provide you with the plan to follow, and encourage & support you remotely. However, it will be your responsibility to follow the plan in between our sessions – you will not achieve the goal of running 5k (or 30 minutes) without stopping after 9 weeks if you don’t 🙁
All sessions will take place at a location convenient for you, because we want to make it as easy as possible for you to stick to the plan!
Costs for the 9 week programme of private 1 to 1 sessions are:
- €405 for 9 x 45 minute sessions (1/week) (€45/session)
- Or buy 16 sessions & get 2 free: €720 for 18 x 45 minute sessions (2/week) (€40/session)
- Or buy 21 sessions & get 6 free: €945 for 27 x 45 minute sessions (3/week) (€35/session)
If you find you need more than 9 weeks to be able to run 5k (or 30 minutes) without stopping, you can continue sessions for an additional 3 weeks at the same ‘per session’ cost you have already signed up for.
If you would like to share the sessions with a friend, contact us to discuss.
If you will not be in Ibiza for 9 consecutive weeks but want to buy a group of sessions to kick-start your Couch to 5k training, contact us to discuss.
All costs are inclusive of IVA.
Sign Up for Couch to 5K Here
Use the booking form to reserve your place or contact us to discuss your requirements.